Adventure is worthwhile
We suggest you read up about the areas you plan to visit before deciding on a route. You should have a basic understanding of the roads, the area (especially if you plan to visit remote areas) and the vehicle. Ensure that at least 2 people in your group are able to drive the vehicle.
1. Important personal documents needed:
3. Documents needed if travelling with minors under 18 years of age:
2. Cross border documentation:
4. Border post opening and closing times:
This will be provided to you when booking the vehicle.
Start now and see the road less travelled
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
MINIMUM TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Detailed description: 4X4 Cross Adventures is a business in the vehicle rental industry that rents out fully equipped 4×4 vehicles for self -drive safaris.
- Delivery policy: Subject to availability and receipt of payment will be confirmed by way of booking number and full names.
- Return and refunds policy: Cancellation of booking by the client will attrack a cancellation fee as follows: 31+ days: banking costs only
15-30 days 50% of total rental cost
0-14 days 100% of total rental cost
- Payment options accepted: Payment can be made via Visa, Mastercard or by bank transfer into the 4×4 Cross Adventures bank account, the details of which will be provided on request.
- Card acquiring and security: Card transactions will be acquired for 4×4 Cross Adventures via PayGate (Pty) Ltd who are the approved payment gateway for all South Africans Acquiring banks. DPO PayGate uses the strictest form of encryption, namely Secure Socket Layer 3 (SSL3) and no Card details are stored on the website. Users may go to www.paygate.co.za to view their security certificate and security policy.
- Customer details separate from card details: Customer details will be stored by 4×4 Cross Adventures separately from card details which are entered by the client on DPO PayGate’s secure site. For more detail on DPO PayGate refer to www.paygate.co.za.
- Merchant outlet country and transaction currency: The merchant outlet country at the time of presenting payment options to the cardholder is South Africa. Transaction currency is South African Rand (ZAR).
- Responsibility: 4×4 Cross Adventures takes responsibility for all aspects relating to the transaction including the services on this website, customer service and support, dispute resolution.
- Country of domicile: This website is governed by the laws of South Africa and 4×4 Cross Adventures chooses as its domicilium citandi et executandi for all purposes under this agreement, whether in respect of court process, notice or other documents or communication of whatsoever nature, South Africa. (325 Trevor Gething Street, Garsfontein,
Pretoria, 0081, South Africa)
- Variation: 4×4 Cross Adventures may, in its sole discretion change this agreement or any part thereof at any time without notice.
- Company information: This website is run as a private company based in South Africa trading as 4×4 Cross Adventures with registration number 2018/545139/07 with Brandt Coetzee and Michell Coetzee as Directors.r
- 4×4 Cross Adventures contact details: Physical Address: 325 Trevor Gething Street Garsfontein Pretoria 0081.
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +27 81 559 5402; +27 83 666 8094
What you must know
Standard rates include:
- Unlimited kilometres
- Living, sleeping and kitchen equipment
- Full water-and fuel tank and gas bottle
- GPS Navigation system
- Tracker system
- 2 x drivers (more drivers will be charged separately)
- Airport (Lanseria and OR Tambo international) /Hotel transfers (within 35km from primary Depot)
- Comprehensive vehicle insurance cover
- Credit card fees
- Telephonic assistance (07:00-22:00)
- 24 hour roadside assistance in South Africa
- Maps and self-drive guide books
- Border documents
- Luggage storage (Pretoria only)
- One night free accommodation (conditions apply)
- Conditions for free accommodation:
– Only applicable to foreigners
– Only applicable to rentals longer than 21 days
– Only applicable to the selected accommodation in Pretoria
– Excludes meals, drinks and gratuities
– Cannot be exchanged for discount
Standard rates exclude:
- All extras requested not on the inventory list.
- Visas, 3rd party insurance and road taxes required at respective countries.
- Claims on vehicle accidents. Refer to terms and conditions and vehicle accidents.
- Fixed rate of R8000 will be charged for delivery or pick up of vehicles at any other international airport or location.
- This involves a thorough explanation and demonstration on use of the vehicle and all the equipment.
- The inventory list will be checked and confirmed.
- The condition of the vehicle will be inspected.
- Vehicle handover can take approximately 2-3 hours
- No collection on a Sunday or Public Holiday. If unavoidable a surcharge fee of R600 will be added.
- Collection time is from 08:00-15:00 (Monday-Friday), Saturday from 08:00-13:00.
- If the vehicle cannot be collected at the primary address of 4x4 Cross Adventures, a delivery fee will be added to your account to cover our travel expenses.
- Vehicle handover can take approximately 1 hour.
- The general condition of the vehicle and equipment will be checked.
- A further detailed inspection of the inventory list and equipment will be checked the following day. You will be notified of any concerns.
- The vehicle must be returned with a full tank of fuel.
- Vehicle must be returned clean. If excessively dirty a cleaning fee will be charged of R850.
- No return on Sundays or Public Holidays. If unavoidable a surcharge fee of R600 will be added.
- Latest return on Monday-Friday until 15:00 and Saturday until 13:00.
- If returned later than the agreed return date or outside of normal office hours a full day’s rental per calendar day will be charged.
- If the vehicle cannot be returned (due to your planned route not circular) to the primary address of 4x4 Cross Adventures, a collection fee will be added to your account to cover our travel expenses
Start now and see the road less travelled
What you must know
- Minimum rental duration and costings period is 7 days.
- Vehicle rental is calculated per calendar day e. g collection day and return day will be counted as full days irrespective of the time.
- Licence A valid EB or code 8 national or an English international driver’s licence for vehicles less than 3500kg is required.
- The minimum age permitted to rent is 21 years and the maximum is 70 years.
- All our vehicles are fitted with an eToll tag. These tags are debited with gantry levies in Gauteng, and also open gates on debit at toll gates on the major roads in South Africa that carry the eToll logo.
- This fee of R500 will be included in your quotation.
- A claim handling fee of R500 is charged on all damage or accident claims. 4×4 Cross Adventures is not responsible for any damage or theft to items of a personal nature.
- Travel and personal medical insurance is highly recommended.
- Liability to 3rd party included to a maximum of ZAR 2 500 000
Exclusions The renter is fully liable for any damage to the vehicle or 3rd party property if:
- Any terms of the rental contract is breached
- Damages are sustained when the driver is in violation of any traffic laws or ordinances
- Damages are sustained when the driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, driving on the wrong side of the road, driving on restricted or unrecognized roads.
- Damages related to water submersion or salt water damage (a vehicle may not go through water higher than 30cm in depth)
- If the vehicle was driven in a country in which written approval was not obtained
- Damage with the incorrect use of the hand brake
- Damage to the clutch (all faults to the clutch can be reported up to 3 days after collection, thereafter it is deemed as the renter’s responsibility). The cost of the clutch is approximately ZAR15 000.
- If the incorrect fuel is pumped into the tank or fuel into the water tank. A cost of ZAR20 000 will be incurred.
- Any damages to the vehicle or equipment that 4×4 Cross Adventures has not been made aware of on the return of the vehicle.
- Only valid Visa/MasterCard credit cards, EFT or bank transfer payments are accepted for rentals, security deposits and excesses.
- The holder of the credit card needs to be present at vehicle collection.
- 25% deposit is payable to confirm the booking.
- Full payment must be received within 31 days on booking the vehicle.
- 4×4 Cross Adventures is not responsible for any currency fluctuations that may occur.
- A security deposit of ZAR 10 000 is payable on all rentals. It is fully refundable upon the safe return of the equipment and vehicle. Should the security deposit not cover the full extent of the damage, the renter is liable for the difference.
- Security deposit is utilized in the event of one of the following:
- Missing/broken items including GPS, fridges, compressors, tents, keys etc.
- Filling up/top up of the fuel tank
- Major accident and excess payment.
- Full valet ZAR850 if vehicle returned excessively dirty.
- Damage to the rims/tyres or windscreen.
- Minor accident damage (too small to claim from insurance)
- Traffic fines. Refer also to vehicle accidents and insurance cover.
- The security deposit will be refunded in full within 14 days should all of the above be in order. If not, the balance will be refunded together with the valid receipts within 21 days.In case of damages exceeding the security deposit you will be notified in advance and the balance will be charged to your credit card.
- Due to the nature of the terrain small repairs might be needed. Small repairs of up to ZAR1000 may be affected without prior authorisation from 4×4 Cross Adventures and such repairs will be reimbursed if all original receipts are attached.
- Amounts above ZAR1000 will require verbal or telephonic approval from 4×4 Cross Adventures.
- 31+ days: banking costs only
- 15-30 days 50% of total rental cost
- 0-14 days 100% of total rental cost
What do you do
- A replacement vehicle will only be sent once payment of all damages to the first vehicle is made.
- The recovery of the damaged vehicle is covered by the insurance up to a maximum amount of ZAR15000 across borders of South Africa. The renter is responsible for any additional costs to return the damaged vehicle to the primary address of 4×4 Cross Adventures.
- The replacement vehicle will be the vehicle we have available and the model may differ from your original vehicle. The replacement vehicle will still be equipped and suitable for your requirements.
In case of an accident:
Replacement of a vehicle due to an accident or damage:
- In case of water or clutch damage: The repairs are the responsibility of the renter.
- Should a replacement vehicle be required, 4×4 Cross Adventures will replace it within 24h in South Africa and 48hours outside of South African borders.
- A new security deposit will be blocked on the nominated Visa/MasterCard for the replacement vehicle.
- Unauthorised towing is not permitted under any circumstances. o No refund for early termination of the contract will be considered.
Additional costs for the renter:
- You will be liable for the insurance excess: minimum ZAR 3000, 5% of claim. This will be deducted from your security deposit.
- If the driver is younger than 25 years or has had a drivers license for less than 2 years an additional ZAR 500 is added.
- In case of motor glass breakage 25% of the claim, minimum ZAR 350 is added.
- In case of theft or hijack 5% of the claim, minimum ZAR 3000 is added.
- Loss or damage of camping equipment such as chairs, table, cutlery, crockery etc. which are not covered by insurance and will be deducted from your security deposit.